Male Circumcision in Chatswood
Our circumcision in Sydney clinic has been servicing the Chatswood area for decades and we have families travelling to our practice because of the positive feedback from family, friends and relatives alike. Our service has been circumcision for babies for several years using the well known ring or plastibell technique for male infants and now we also do teenagers and adults.
Our circumcision centre is run by highly experienced medical professionals committed to ensuring the circumcision is done with excellent care and safety. Our doctors and staff are dedicated to performing the (circumcision) procedure on infants and adults with a level expertise that has families coming back for generations. Our practitioners are well-versed in the latest methods and techniques in the surgery, improving our results and experience for the infant or adult.
A circumcision is a simple surgical procedure that removes the foreskin – a sleeve of skin covering the tip of the penis.
In order to make an informed decision, regarding this procedure please carefully consider the benefits below.
BENEFITS OF CIRCUMCISION
- A circumcision eliminates the risk of phimosis, which affects 1 in 10 older boys and men. This condition refers to a tight foreskin that cannot be pulled back fully, which can cause difficulties in practicing good hygiene (cleaning under the foreskin) and passing urine.
- Circumcisions reduce the risk of inflammation and infection of the skin of the penis by 3 times. One in 10 uncircumcised men suffers inflammation of the head of the penis and foreskin.
- A circumcised penis has a 10 times reduction in risk of urinary tract infection. The risk of a UTI is only 1 in 500 in those circumcised, compared to a 1 in 50 risk of those uncircumcised.
- You have a 20 times reduction in risk of invasive penile cancer.
- One in 600 non-circumcised men are diagnosed with penile cancer, which usually requires penile amputation or surgery that may cause disfigurement.
- Non-circumcised men have 1½ – 2 times the risk of prostate cancer, which affects 1 in 6 men.
- Circumcised men have a decreased risk of contracting HIV (AIDS). Please NB. Practicing safe sex is still the best way to stop contracting STI’s.
- Circumcision affords substantial protection against thrush as well as sexually transmitted infections such as papilloma (wart) virus and syphilis. Please NB. Practicing safe sex is still the best way to stop contracting STI’s.
- Circumcision reduces by up to 5 times the risk of the man’s female partner being infected by Chlamydia or getting cervical cancer (which is caused by human papillomavirus). The load of infectious bacteria and viruses that accumulate under the foreskin is delivered into the female genital tract during sex.
- If babies are not circumcised soon after birth, then up to 10% of men will later require a circumcision for medical reasons.
- Credible research shows that most women prefer the appearance of the circumcised penis. They also prefer it for sexual activity. Hygiene is one reason; increased contact of the penis with the vaginal wall, and stimulation, are others.
- In general, sexual function and sensation are the same in circumcised men. The problem of overly tender sensitivity of the head of the penis experienced by most uncircumcised men is virtually eliminated.
FAQ – Baby Circumcision
How long does the Circumcision procedure take?
Generally it will take 30-40mins.
Is circumcision painful?
No, we use an effective local anaesthetic to ensure you are numb prior to the procedure which means the baby should not feel pain at the time of the procedure.
What technique do you use and how does it work?
Our doctors perform circumcision for babies using the ring method called the Plastibell technique. The hard plastic bell is placed under the foreskin and over the head of the penis. A piece of string is tied around the foreskin cutting off the blood supply to the foreskin. As a result the foreskin naturally falls off with the ring after 7-10 days.
How long will it take to heal?
The ring and the foreskin will come off in 7-10 days. After that it may take another 7-10 days for the penis to heal. You will be asked to perform regular salt baths to help with the healing process.
Is it safe to circumcise my newborn?
Yes, it is very safe. We have experienced doctors and nurses performing the procedure on newborns for over 30 years.
What age can I get my baby circumcised?
Babies can be circumcised can be circumcised on day 1 and upwards from there. You can bring baby into consult with the doctor. Provided the baby is healthy we can safely perform the procedure the first day they come out of the hospital.
Can I feed the baby as normal?
Yes, you will be asked to feed the baby straight after the procedure.
How much does it cost?
The circumcision for babies starts from $450 for babies under 14 days old and the price gradually goes up from there.
Will I get something back from Medicare?
Yes you will be able to claim some of your payment back from Medicare.
FAQ – Adult Circumcision
Can I get circumcised as an adult?
Yes you can. Please book your consultation with the doctor and they will explain the process.
How long does the Circumcision take for an adult?
Generally, it will take between 40-60mins.
Does circumcision hurt?
We use an effective local anaesthetic to ensure you are numb prior to the procedure.
How long does the recovery take for an adult?
In all cases, the minimum length of time will be 6 weeks before the wound heals.
When can I go back to work after an adult circumcision?
For an office job, you may return in 3 to 4 days, physical job, we suggest you should rest for 5 to 7 days.
What kind of activities can I do or not do?
After the first week, you may resume regular activities, as long as you don’t put pressure on you penis or scrotum for at least 3 weeks e.g. cycling. You should not have sex or masturbate for 6weeks after having the circumcision as an adult.
How much pain should I expect during the recovery period?
Most adult circumcision patients find minimal post-operative pain, just like with any surgery, some discomfort during the first 2 weeks with nocturnal erections, but they are generally mild and can be relieved with paracetamol or ibuprofen.
Meet the Doctors who perform Circumcisions:
We have a long history of performing Circumcisions in Chatswood and the Greater Western Sydney region. For more information about the procedure or the practice you can email us or call. Please go to our Contact Us page for more details.
Or call us now: 02 4736 6567
We also offer;